Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Sex and the book review

Yeah, you read that right. Sex.

Don't know about you, but I notice an interesting trend in several highly sought after book review sites: the tendency to associate books and sex. Here are a few examples:


Bookgasm
Bookwhore
BookSlut
Bookbitch (A nice review of Janeology is found there, thank you very much.)



Hmmmm.


And if that weren't enough, I find my book favorably reviewed today at In Bed With Books.

http://www.inbedwithbooks.blogspot.com/


I think I'll open my own review site and call it "A Read and a Smoke."


Or, if you have any other suggestions....



Karen Harrington

Author, Janeology

1 comment:

Liviania said...

In all truth, I didn't realize how suggestive the title of my blog was at first. I choose it because I read mostly in or on my bed, particularly when in the dorm (because where else would I read there).

I guess I've always associated books with sex to some degree. The reaction of finding that book you've wanted on the shelf . . . it's like hunting for Mr. Right, only more satisfying. When talking about books in person I often use purposefully sexual language. I'm not entirely sure why. I think perhaps it's for people who don't love books - a bit of hyperbole to show how great the book was.