Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Blog Fiction Radio

Blog Fiction Radio

Nothing would please me more than to go on the radio; to be heard through those invisible waves that connect voices and music to billions of people in their cars.

I imagine a radio talk show host introducing me: Linda Merlino thanks for coming today and then the two of us would discuss Belly of the Whale. Where did the idea for your book come from? How difficult was it to be mainstreamed published? What do you want your readers to remember when they are done reading Belly of the Whale?

My answers would be honest and sprinkled with humor. Since I am fond of talking, there will be no concern about my being shy. If you get me on a passionate subject, like writing, it may take some prompting to keep me quiet.

In the meantime, while I am waiting for my big radio break, I will blog you an excerpt from a fictitous interview with Jack Emerald, husband of Hudson Catalina. WRSB in Gloucester is doing the interview. The full post can be seen on my Virtual Book Tour next Monday and Tuesday, the 16th and 17th of June.

WRSB: We here at WRSB are pleased that you stayed in Gloucester and would like you to share with our listeners some of what you speak of regarding the last several years and your family. You were a caregiver to a wife with breast cancer, is that correct?

Jack Emerald: Yes, our youngest child was four years old when Hudson was diagnosed with breast cancer. My wife’s mother died of breast cancer when she was fourteen and for all the years that followed Hudson carried the fear of also dying of this disease.

WRSB: What kind of an impact did this double tragedy have on your family?

Jack Emerald: I for one never thought my wife would die young or from breast cancer. When she was diagnosed I made a plan, the same way I make a plan or outline for my marine research. I was sure we, and I emphasize the we, could beat breast cancer. Hudson’s mother died at a time when the treatment of the disease was in its infancy. Her chances were slim to none of recovery. I did not feel that those odds applied to Hudson.

WRSB: Your wife felt differently about her breast cancer, about her survival, correct?

Jack Emerald: She tried for many months to be hopeful. Hudson endured multiple surgeries, experimental drug therapy and chemotherapy, but one day, the day before our daughter turned five, she lost hope.

WRSB: What does a caregiver do when this happens?

Jack Emerald: Being a caregiver is a role you assume without thinking of yourself. Cancer was not about me and I tried everyday not to personalize its presence. I loved my wife and I always thought of myself as a good husband, not perfect, but for the most part a good guy. After she was diagnosed I became a better husband, I loved her more than I thought I ever could. I wanted her to have quality of life, no matter what happened. I thought about the times I wasted on small stuff, on insignificant complaints and I made an effort, no, a vow, that I would not do that again. When Hudson gave up, I didn’t know it. She was a pro at hiding her emotions from everyone. I just kept on doing what I was doing, pushing her to survive. Telling her, Hudson Catalina I love you.



Blog what you think, see hear, feel and imagine.

Linda Merlino
http://lindamerlino.com
http://kunati.com/linda-merlino

No comments: