Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Greetings

I was going to write a blog about the importance of wills for all authors, whether published or unpublished, but it’s a bit too maudlin for this festive season. So, I’ll save it for January, when the weather and the bills make life kind of blah already. :)

I’d much rather take a few moments to write about Christmas. We’re very fortunate to have family gathering at our house again this year. Christmas morning gift giving has been held here for each of the twenty-four years we’ve lived in this home, and it’s become a valued tradition.

I’ve always served brunch after gifts have been opened, which has involved everything from dim sum to crepes, Eggs Benedict, omelets, or simple eggs and bacon, depending on the year. The older we get, the more some of us want low-fat things like fruit salad, but that’s life. Christmas dinner has alternated between my or my sister’s house, but this year I’m cooking here. My son is more than willing to help. Hubby likes the clean up part, so I’m doubly blessed.

I remember the first Christmas here with our eldest child. She was three months old at the time and took great delight in crumpling the crinkly red cellophane wrapped around the Christmas cake. Two days before that particular Christmas day, my father was nearly killed in a hit-and-run accident while delivery newspapers in the early morning hours. I spent part of Christmas Day in the intensive care ward, looking at a person I barely recognized through the swelling and bruising. We placed our daughter in the arms of relatives who were waiting their turn to see my father so I could go in. She brought them a bit of happiness to an otherwise grim situation. Time passed, and my father recovered and lived a few more years before passing away.

We’ve been incredibly lucky since then. No major Christmas illnesses or accidents, and I count my blessings every year. I wish you and yours a very peaceful and joyous holiday.

1 comment:

anthony stemke said...

Have a very Happy Christmas.