Sunday, May 26, 2013

Are You Making These Mistakes?

I read an interesting article in The Huffington Post this week, which discusses the ten biggest marketing mistakes almost every author makes. The top ten mistakes, according to marketing expert Penny C. Sansevieri, are:

.           Waiting to see what happens
.           Feeling like you have to do everything
.           Not putting in enough content
.           Thinking that the rules don’t apply to you
.           Not staying on top of trends in your industry
.           Lack of engagement
.           Waiting until the book is done to launch your website
.           Being in a rush
.           Not asking for what you want
.           Wanting to make a fast buck

Sansevieri goes onto say that these mistakes apply to everyone, including traditionally published authors who’ve been at it for years and are still struggling to find success. I encourage you to read this blog post because, like me, I’m sure you’ll find that you could improve on at least a couple of things. Okay, I admit it that there are four or five things, in my case.

Of course, the continuing debate I have with myself is how to I make the time to market my books properly? At the moment, I put most of my energy into working hard to increase my writing productivity. As I’ve said before, although I edit nearly every day of my life, I’m not the world’s most prolific writer. I take great care with rewrites and edits to create the best possible piece I can. What I still struggle with is creating the most effective marketing program imaginable. Needless to say, it’s still a work in progress, but articles like the one below really do help:




No comments: