Sunday, May 21, 2017

Another Use For Interviews

Did you ever hit a point where you wonder why you do what you do, how you got started in it, how you got where you are (wherever that is), what's holding you back, and what's pulling you on?
I don't, but maybe you do.
ANYWAY, whether you do or you don't, those aren't bad questions to ask. And here's an idea for coming up with questions: Go to interview sites. Copy the questions. Then answer them.
I'm thinking of author interviews, naturally; I'm pretty sure there are actor interviews galore; for all I know, there are sites that interview dog-catchers, trash collectors, cat-toy designers, and goat breeders. But I'm talking about authors.

WHAT BOOKS INFLUENCED YOUR STYLE?

Hard one. "All of them" isn't really useful. See if you can pin it down. If you're struggling with your voice, maybe you haven't fully integrated your influences into yourself. Maybe you're trying a voice that doesn't work well with the kind of story you're working on. Maybe a little smoothing, tweaking, or adjusting the mix will help.

WHEN DID YOU KNOW YOU WANTED TO BE A WRITER?

Well, when did you? Did you have an imaginary friend and suddenly realize you had made it up, like a character in a book? Did you have a school assignment that clicked? Did you read a novel and think, "Geez -- I could do better than that!"?

WHAT BOOK DO YOU WISH YOU HAD WRITTEN AND WHY?

"Because it made a billion bucks" doesn't count. What is it about that book that connects with you as a writer? What did the author accomplish that you want to accomplish?
~*~
You get the picture. By finding and answering interview questions, we might get in touch with all that mess in there that makes us the writers we are. If we do the interview for ourselves alone, we just might find out something about "the man behind the curtain" we'd just as soon not share, but can benefit (as writers and as people) from knowing.
I'm participating in Story A Day May again this year. If you want 31 dashed-off stories to beguile your time, hop on over to my Story A Day May category and help yourself to some free reading!
Marian Allen, Author Lady
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

2 comments:

Debra Purdy Kong said...

Great post, Marian. Whenever someone asks if they can guest blog on my site, I invite them to either use my interview questions, or to write their own blog. Personally, I like answering interview questions because it does make me pause and think about what I'm doing, and where I'd like to be in five years.

Marian Allen said...

I agree with your enjoyment of answering interview questions. I always moan and thrash around, like little kid who has to go to the grocery with Mom. But I always find something good to bring home from the expedition. :)